US Off-Duty Officer Fatally Shoots Fellow Officer Unintentionally

A U.S. Park Police officer is dead after being fatally shot by another off-duty officer. The shooting occurred inside an apartment in McLean, Virginia, 10 miles outside of Washington, D.C.

Fairfax police arrived at 12:20 a.m. after receiving a report that someone had been shot.

U.S. Park Police Officer Jesse Brown Hernandez, 22, was found dead at the scene.

Detectives determined that Officer Alexander Roy, 25, was attempting to dry fire a firearm, which is pulling the trigger on an unloaded firearm. Roy believed that the firearm was not loaded when he pointed it at Hernandez, fatally striking him in the upper body.

Police believe that alcohol played a role in the accidental shooting.

Apartment resident Christopher Deane commented on the incident.

“When I saw the number of Fairfax County police here, it was a little unnerving,” he said. “If they can’t have proper gun safety, then what does that say for everybody else?”

Police said that there were four people in the apartment at the time Hernandez was shot, and three of them were U.S. Park Police officers. The U.S. Park Police are a federal law enforcement agency that is part of the National Park Service.

Roy was arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter. According to police, Roy is being held on no bond at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center. He faces one count of unlawful shootings in an occupied building resulting in death and could face 10 years in prison if convicted and/or a $2,500 fine.

Lieutenant James Curry with Fairfax County Police stated the importance of being responsible when handling firearms.

“We always implore, whatever your background is, whatever your familiarity is with a firearm, alcohol, and guns just do not mix,” he said. “You need to make sure you treat it with respect and you treat all human life with respect when you’re around a firearm.”

The Park Police released a statement stating that they are aware of the incident.

“Our focus right now is on supporting the family, friends, and coworkers of our employees involved in this tragic incident.”

At this time, the shooting is still under investigation. Anyone with additional information has been encouraged to contact Fairfax Police.