Eight teenagers have been arrested in Las Vegas following the brutal beating and subsequent death of 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis on Nov. 1. Undersheriff Andrew Walsh briefed the public on Tuesday, reporting all eight of the detained teens would be charged with his murder.
JUST IN: Jonathan Lewis, a teenage boy who was beaten up by 15 students at a high school in Las Vegas, Nevada had died.
Throw them all in prison for life.
According to the boy's father, the brutal beating happened after 17 year old Jonathan Lewis stood up for one of his… pic.twitter.com/PCrA7iMe9t
— Collin Rugg (@CollinRugg) November 12, 2023
Walk asked local parents and students attending Lewis’ High School to contact the police department if they have any information that may lead to the identification of other young people who were involved in the beating.
Lewis’s father — Jonathan Lewis, Sr — is rallying support in hope that others can learn from what happened to his son.
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Lt. Jason Johansson delivered the details of the attack on Lewis to the public.
Lewis was attacked by what cannot be described as anything less than a mob. Following the end of the school day, Lewis’ fellow students engulfed him in an alley just one block due east of Rancho High School.
Johansson said the response to the incident was swift. He conveyed that all members involved are thought to be attendees of Rancho High School.
Following the attack, a passerby noticed Lewis lying unconscious in the alley, tended to him, and carried him back to the school. A 9-1-1 call followed, which led to his transport to UMC. It was determined quickly that he would not recover from the brutal injuries he sustained.
Johansson said, “As you know, the video has been shared widely on social media…is very graphic and, in my opinion, the very void of humanity. What you see in the video though, is approximately ten subjects kicking, stomping, and punching our victim Jonathan as he’s on the ground, not defending himself, until the point where he becomes unconscious.”
He stated, “The fight was actually over a pair of stolen wireless headphones and possibly over a stolen vape pen, from incidents that occurred earlier in the week” from the victim’s friend.
He continued, “After school let out, all parties then walked to that back alley whereas you see in the video — our victim removes his clothing, engages in a fight initially with one subject, and the minute the punch is thrown with that person, ten subjects immediately swarm him.”
On Nov. 7, Lewis’ family reported to the police department that the victim was brain dead. An autopsy has confirmed his cause of death was blunt-force trauma homicide. Search warrants have been executed across multiple residences, with several turning up clothing several suspects wore during the attack.
Eight high school students in Las Vegas between the ages of 13 and 17 have been arrested on suspicion of murder following the fatal beating of a 17-year-old classmate, Jonathan Lewis Jr., according to report.
— NEWSMAX (@NEWSMAX) November 15, 2023